Thursday, December 1, 2011

Fig and Marzipan Cream Tart




It has been a while since my last post, hasn't it?  Quite a few of my friends and followers have emailed and asked if I was coming back and to be honest, I wasn't really sure if I wanted to continue blogging or if this even means I will continue on a regular basis.  Many changes in our life have come into play these last few months, all good I may add, but it takes away from being able to visit other blog and of course, to write on my own.  I am asking your forgiveness for not visiting your sites to comment, but be assured I am still reading your posts when able.  Some of you who have been with me on here for the last 4 years will now notice that I no longer have commenting enabled on the blog.  If you have any questions or feel  the need to comment, you can find me on twitter and facebook.  I appreciate everyone for stopping by.

Now....onto the tart...

I made this for my husband who is a complete marzipan freak.  You can find marzipan in bars sometimes at your local grocery store or you can also find them at Cost Plus World Market.  Your best bet is to go there first and save yourself the driving around to find it.  You also can use almond paste should you not be able to find marzipan.  The tart was not too sweet and the creamy filling was my favorite part.  My husband taste tested with a second slice so I'm thinking that he enjoyed it as well!  If you feel the need, top with with a little whipped cream...or a lot.


Fig and Marzipan Cream Tart

  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 3 tablespoons ice water
  • 3 1/2 ounces marzipan paste or bar, at room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature (it is really worth buying mascarpone instead of substituting with cream cheese)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 6 large or 12 small fresh figs, sliced, stems removed or 20 dried figs, reconstituted 
  • 1/4 cup apricot jam

Directions

Combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, your lemon zest, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and then pulse until blended. Add in the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal. While the machine is running, slowly add in the water until moist clumps form. Take the mixture out of the processor and place onto a work surface.  Form into a ball. Flatten the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap and chill the dough for 1 hour.
In a clean food processor bowl, combine remaining sugar, marzipan paste (or tube, whatever form you may find), mascarpone cheese, vanilla extract, and honey. Blend your mixture until smooth.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
On a large sheet of parchment paper, roll out the dough into an 11-inch circle. Place the dough to a big, heavy baking sheet and then spread the marzipan over the dough but leave a 2-inch border. Place the figs on top of the marzipan cream filling. Spoon the jam over the figs. Fold the dough border over the filling to form an 8-inch round, and pleat and pinch the crust to seal cracks in the dough if there are any.
Bake until the crust is golden, about 35-40 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes and then use a spatula under the crust to lift the tart away from the parchment. Transfer the tart to a platter and serve.
*Adapted and tweaked from Giada