Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Mad Dog Salad


I truly have some of the best friends around, both in the blog world and at home. I have been fortunate enough to have one particular lady from England become a wonderful friend over the past few years. A new bride with a baby girl on the way in a few months, Dottie never fails to keep in contact or send me lovely things straight from the heart. With our mutual love of Jamie Oliver, Dottie sent me his new book Jamie's America which is not yet available in the states. Well let me tell you, this book is incredible and is possibly his best book yet, in my opinion.
When you think of American cuisine, many people think of greasy fast food and other fattening dishes. Jamie takes you to a whole different level and teaches you of the different and unknown culinary communities in New York, Arizona, the cowboy country in Wyoming, the harsh side of Los Angeles (which surprisingly has amazing fare) and into the South. It is a brilliant book full of delicious recipes and photos. If you are a chili fan then his Chili Con Jamie will make you sing with pleasure along with his tortilla breakfast scramble.
This Mad Dog salad comes from the Arizona section of the book and has a spicy kick to it yet includes a creamy, smoky texture from grilling the avocados (my favorite part!). Just look at it...gorgeous, isn't it? Tasty too.

Just look at those avocados...


*A huge Thank You to Dottie and Rob for sending this delicious book my way.

Mad Dog Salad
Adapted from Jamie's America

Serves 4
3 ripe avocados
olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
cumin seeds
2 large handfuls of plain tortilla chips
a large handful of freshly grated cheddar cheese
a handful of pine nuts
a handful of pumpkin seeds
1 bundle if cress, snipped
4 good handfuls of mixed interesting salad leaves, washed and dried
juice of 1 lemon
extra virgin olive oil
2 Scotch bonnets or other interesting chillies, deseeded and finely sliced

Preheat your oven to full whack. (I did 425 and used my grill pan in the oven)
Halve, stone and peel your avocados and lay them on a roasting tray. Drizzle over some olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper and a good pinch of cumin seeds. Toss until nicely coated, then roast in the oven for 15 minutes so they get a bit of color. While this is happening, get another tray, lay out your tortilla chips and sprinkle over the cheddar, pine nuts and pumpkin seeds. Pop this tray into the oven about 4 minutes before the avocado is ready to come out, so the cheese has time to melt and the nuts and seeds toast a little.

Mix your cress and salad leaves together. Drizzle over the lemon juice and three times as much extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle over a good pinch of salt and pepper. Quickly toss together so everything is perfectly dressed. Take you avocados and tray of tortillas out of the oven.

Place your cheesy tortilla chips, nuts and seeds on a platter or divide between plates, slice or tear over the avocado, then scatter your lovely dressed salad over the top. Finish by sprinkling over as much fresh chilli as you dare.

35 comments:

Maria said...

So fresh and delicious!

Lisa said...

Love the name and delicious looking salad! Happy new year!

Leslie said...

mmmm... I would have never thought to roast my avacados

Elra said...

Simply delicious salad. Love the avocado so much!!!!!!

bella said...

This salad looks delicious and just what I need right now for inspiration for eating healthier! Thanks! Roz

bella said...

This salad looks delicious and just what I need right now for inspiration for eating healthier! Thanks! Roz

Chow and Chatter said...

oh wow this is an awesome salad

Rebecca

Cristie said...

I've never thought to roast avocados,but it sounds wonderful in this salad. What a sweet friend you have to send you the new cookbook.

Donna said...

What an incredible salad. I love the avovados. Gorgeous shot, you captured the tastiness:)

Happy New Year to you.

My Carolina Kitchen said...

Wow...a grilled avocado. How clever. Gorgeous salad and thanks for the review on Jamie's newest book. How lucky you are to have friends to bring you the book.
Sam

grace said...

roasted avocados, what?!? i LOVE avocados, and the very idea of what roasting must do to them makes me very excited. this is an awesome salad, bridgett--thanks for sharing the idea!

Dottie said...

Thank you for your kind words and it makes me happy that it has given you so much pleasure. I happen to be very lucky to, with a great true friend in California who also sends me wonderful gifts!! Plus I get to see this friend do some fabulous cooking!
How cool a name is 'mad dog salad'!! Just makes you want to give it a try. My mouth was watering when I was drooling over your photo. I must try making this x

Hillary said...

Avocados are my absolute favorite and we've been eating a ton of them lately. I've never heard of roasted them and am so excited to try this!

Jennie said...

OK, I think I might have to call my Mum right now and ask her to send me this book! I love Jamie too and this book sounds to good to wait around for! Beautiful salad. Grilled avocados! Yum!

Debbie said...

The grilled avocado looks wonderful. You are a lucky lady to have that book.....

Barbara said...

Looks great and frankly I'd make this just because I love the name!

Claudia said...

I need to try this - it is gorgeous! I just have this terrible habit of eating the avocados as soon as I peel them!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This looks like a wonderful salad and it sounds like a great cookbook!

Chef Aimee said...

This is ironic because a restaurant by my office in Downtown NYC called Mad Dog and Beans serves a salad very similar to this!!!!!
I love ordering it on warm summer days when the tables are open on Stone Street! At least now I can also make at home - thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

I love Jamie too - I can't wait for this book to go on sale in the states. The salad looks perfecto!

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

I get so bored with salads - I am always looking for ways to jazz them up. This looks wonderful! I've never grilled an avocado before - such a great idea. I look forward to the book coming out!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That salad looks and sounds amazing! What a great combo!

Cheers,

Rosa

Mary said...

This looks and sounds delicious. I love the grilled avocado.

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Wonderful! What a nice gift.
I checked amazon.ca, it isn't in Canada either, and no date for coming.
I wonder why that is?
Usually we get the English books earlier than the States as we have metric and they don't have to be adapted.
Love Jamie! Great salad.

nobu said...

That name is funny, but it looks nice!

Sook said...

It's always great to have such a darling friend! The salad looks so great. Goes great with my healthy eating resolution. :)

john said...

This looks so fresh and delicious! I think this is a nice start to become healthier this year!
dining tables

kitten kitchen said...

Great recipe! Thanks and happy new year.

Sharon said...

ooh you are making me jealous! i can't wait to check out that cookbook. lovely salad perfect for a healthy new years!

Chef Chuck said...

I like the name! Healthy too!!

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow...that sounds interesting salad...love the variety of flavors infused together....

Bellini Valli said...

Love the name here. It confirms that the British are fascinated with our place names and cuisine.

Katherine Aucoin said...

that's one grogeous looking salad! The cumin seeds and the avacado has me very curious.

Danielle said...

the book sounds wonderful! and yes....some of the best diners are in the worst parts of town. (places you don't really want to be in even during the day)...but the food is great! thats where you find the authentic ethnic foods.
Your salad looks fabulous!

Jamie said...

What a beautiful salad. I really like Jamie Oliver as well and not just because we share the same first name :)