Monday, December 28, 2009

Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin with Gruyere


I am hoping you all had a perfect Holiday. I know in our home, Christmas day seemed to fly by with presents, playing, relaxing and generally just enjoying the time together. It is a reminder that we need to take more days such as that, minus all the presents. Well, maybe one would be good, right? We spend Christmas night in San Francisco in Union Square and this year was no different. It's gorgeous there with the huge tree where everyone tends take family pictures and window shops in anticipation for the sales the next day. Who can resist? Certainly not us and it has become a tradition that we cherish.
From what I am told by my husband is that many British families have Brussel sprouts on their table at the holidays. We received a greeting card from a friend of ours in London with the veg right on the cover and was told they are somewhat of a national joke over there. Interesting! So I thought I would make a more kicked up version than the usual boiled British fare.
With a creamy gruyere cheese sauce, pancetta and the mild onion-y flavor of the leeks and up to the crispy bread crumbs, this comforting side dish might even convert the sprout haters. Believe me, I am now a fan.


Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin with Gruyere
Adapted from Cuisine At Home

1 pound of Brussel sprouts, trimmed of the tough leaves and woody stems and quartered
3 strips bacon, diced (I used pancetta)
1 cup of sliced leeks
1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese

Crumb Topping:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted these)
1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
2 teaspoons minced lemon zest
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick spray.

Blanch the sprouts in a pot of boiling salted water for 5 minutesp; drain and set aside.

Saute the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp - use a slotted spoon to remove bacon to a paper towel lined dish. Add the leeks to the skillet; cook over medium heat until softened.

Stir in the flour and garlic, cook for 1 minute.

Stir in the chicken broth, cream and lemon juice; bring to a simmer and cook until thick - about 2 minutes.

Remove mixture from heat; stir in the sprouts, bacon and 1/2 cup Gruyere or Swiss. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.

Heat olive oil for the crumb topping in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir in the bread crumbs and walnuts; cook until crumbs begin to brown. Remove mixture from heat to a bowl; let cool 5 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup Gruyere or Swiss, the lemon zest, salt and pepper.

Top the Brussel Sprouts mixture with bread crumb mixture and bake until crumbs are brown, 25-30 minutes.

30 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I must try this cheesy Brussels sprouts! It looks so irresistible.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I don't know how anyone could resist eating brussels sprouts if confronted with these delicious recipe. I've got some gruyere in the fridge, now I need to go get brussels sprouts.

Claudia said...

Oh my - I love brussels sprouts in any way shape and form - but this recipe brings them to a whole new level! Delicious!

Claudia said...

Oh my - I love brussels sprouts in any way shape and form - but this recipe brings them to a whole new level! Delicious!

Laura said...

This looks amazing and I promise to try it. Can I switch out the Brussel sprouts for broccoli if I'm feeling adventurous? Happy holidays sweetie!

Cristie said...

Brussel sprouts will never be the same again. This sounds amazing. I will pick some up today. Even my most difficult eater would love these!

Grace said...

well, this is the first appetizing batch of brussels sprouts that i've ever seen--kudos to you! it actually sounds quite delicious!

Dawn said...

hey girl! don't care for those brussels sprouts, but that topping is all mine. I would use that on artichokes instead.

:::I have toesicles:::

Donna-FFW said...

I so love brussels sprouts.. I am always looking for different ways to prepare them.. this sounds perfect!! Nice choice.

Velva said...

I know that brussels sprouts are a love em or hate em vegetable...But, I absolutely love brussels sprouts and your kicked up version is fabulous. Yum!

Happy New Year to you!

M.J. said...

Brussel sprouts are my favorite veggie. I can't wait to try this recipe!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A fabulous gratin! That combo must taste wonderful!

Best wishes for 2010!

Cheers,

Rosa

Hilary said...

Haha, "the usual boiled British fare". Brits do eat a lot of sprouts at this time of year but these days it's much more usual to do something like stirfried sprouts with leeks and bacon or a gratin like this (well, amongst food-conscious types, anyway). They're not my favourite veg but I will eat them dressed up as you've done.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Bridget!

nobu said...

I think brussel sprouts and bacon are nice combination.
I wish you a Happy New Year!!

bella said...

I'm so glad that there are others who enjoy brussels sprouts! I like the way that you prepared these and I especially LOVED how you described your Christmas holiday! It sounds so lovely! We passed thru NC on the detour around the I-40 landslide and it was beautiful up in the mountains. I hope that you have a most wonderful new years in 2010 and that you continue to post such wonderful recipes and thoughts on your blog! Hugs and baci, Roz

Claudia said...

Happy New Year Bridgett. I left something for you on my blog... when you have time....

Barbara said...

Brussel sprouts are one of my favorite veggies. And this recipe really looks great! Super flavor in the dish and I love the crunchy topping.
Happy New Year to you and yours, Bridgett!

pigpigscorner said...

I've always wanted to try cheesy sprouts. and the crispy topping looks so good! Happy new year!

Hillary said...

Definitely trying this. I love brussels sprouts!

Jen_from_NJ said...

I absolutely love brussels sprouts. The pancetta, gruyere, and cheesy topping must make them amazing!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This looks like a winning combination!
Wishes for happiness and blessings in the coming year.

My Carolina Kitchen said...

We're not much on brussel sprouts, but they look so cute in the supermarket. However, if you put Gruyere on them.....well, they just might become our favorites.

Happy new year.
Sam

ElroyTLanphear said...

色情寫真正妹牆免費視訊網路美女性感美女美女影片線上成人成人聊天成人交友聊天正妹視訊聊天室一夜情交友UT聊天室線上成人情色聊天室色情視訊做愛自拍交友視訊聊天室免費視訊辣妹貼圖網路交友

Chef Jeena said...

I would happily eat the lot! Looks so tasty mmmmmmm!

Happy New Year!

Maria said...

Delicious side dish! Happy New Year my friend!

Pam said...

Brussell sprouts are the one veggie that I am not a fan of - my mom used to boil them until they wee a soggy mess when I was a kid.

This recipe makes me want to give them another chance...nicely done Bridgett!

Chow and Chatter said...

this is a cool way to make Brussels sprouts yep big for us Brits

Happy New yr

love Rebecca and great job on the exercise

Katherine Aucoin said...

A lot of people don't quite know what to do with brussel sprouts, well, you took them way over the top Bridgett! I am a fan of brussel sprouts and can't way to try these babies out!

Happy New Year!

Dottie said...

A belated Merry Christmas!! Hope you have all had a great one and here to a fantastic 2010!!
Yeh, Christmas would not be Christmas without Brussels sprouts. I love them but it seems the British Nation is divided. Funny though as even the brussel sprout haters seem to force one or 2 down on Christmas day.
I am sure with you yum recipe forcing wouldn’t be required by anyone. They look gorgeous and I am sure they could turn the haters around!

foodmuses said...

Another delicious way to make brussels Sprouts! Thanks so much for sharin what looks like a great recipe.